Monday, April 11, 2011

This and that.

  I had planned on posting a new update on Friday but just from having such a long week and everything finally catching up with me I completely forgot. Justin and I went into my oncologist's office on Friday for my cbc and for the possible Neupogen shot. They did the blood work and then sent me upstairs to wait for the results. Very soon after one of the nurses came out and told me my counts were very low and she highly doubted I would be given the shot or have chemo that day and would probably be sent to Methodist for blood and platelets. By then I was panicking. About to pace the floor panic. I do not handle stress and anxiety well at all when it comes to any of this. I totally freak out. My nurse, Shelby, called Dr. V and he wanted to know how I was feeling physically and said as long as I was feeling okay than he would continue with treatment that day and have me go in there for another cbc first thing on Monday and then go to Methodist. Definitely surprised us all.

So the weekend passes by and Monday rolls around. We got up at 5:30 so we could get the kids ready for daycare and to get to my appointment in Peoria at 7:30. We get there and they do the cbc and come out and tell us my counts are very low (which we all knew and completely expected) and tell us they'll fax the orders to Methodist and we could go ahead and head there. So we did (after hunting down a Baskin Robbins for a yummy coffee).  We get there and they tell us that Dr. V wanted to just do the Type and Cross today and have me go back in tomorrow to see him for my weekly appointment, another cbc, chemo, and then for the blood and platelets at Methodist.

 By the way, have I mentioned Tuesday is always our busiest day of the week? Aly has tumbling on Tuesday nights so Justin rushes home from work, picks the kids up from daycare, we all eat dinner, get Connor to bed early (on weeks I don't go with to her dance/tumbling class), get Aly changed, and then rush out of the door. Speaking of her class, she has a tap dance recital next month and she's going to be a duckling. Can we all just say Aww?? Justin went and stood in line Sunday morning for over 2 hours to get the best seats available for her recital. What an awesome Daddy! She is going to look so cute in her little feathery costume. : )

As far as the chemo goes and everything, I'm not feeling too bad. I really have to push myself to drink plenty of fluids and I can definitely tell when I don't get enough (I'm supposed to drink 64-80 oz. a day). Days I don't drink enough I feel so weak. One of my absolute new favorite things now are lemon-berry slushies from Sonic. Just recently I've started loving anything sour (sour candies also) and this drink has a little bit of sweetness to it also and I just love them. Justin picks them up for me some and they are SO good! I love munching on the slush ice also. Yummy!

Here is something cute Aly said over the weekend and it just makes me smile thinking about it. Her and Connor were coloring with crayons (or more like she was coloring and he was trying to eat them) and I asked her what color hair Connor has. She replied with orange. So I asked her what color hair Mommy has and she said orange. But she said Daddy has black hair and she has brown. Just thought it was cute how she didn't even hesitate and just said orange. : )   Speaking of hair...I haven't lost much since I started this second round of chemo. I still lose some here and there but nothing compared to when I was in the hospital in December for my first round of chemo. It's very thin and definitely something I still have a hard time adjusting to since I've always had thick, long, and curly hair. They told me to expect to lose it within days 10-14 with this round and for some reason it has stuck around. I'm okay with that though. Even if I do lose it all I will be fine, it's hair and will grow back.  And tomorrow will be day 43 of this cycle. I'm also finally starting to get used to wearing a hat while out in public.

 While going thru the initial round of harsh chemo in the hospital my liver enzymes skyrocketed and they ended up having to take a break from the chemo for awhile to get things back to normal so I wouldn't go into liver failure. Scary. And that was all was from one of the chemo drugs they had given me. And they also figured out the 5 seizures I had on Christmas Eve. were from that same chemo drug. Even scarier. But from when they stopped the chemo from end of December to March 1st my hair started to regrow. Not too long ago I got out of the shower and saw this new peach fuzz on the top of my head and ran downstairs and showed Justin my head. It was so hard to not get excited. I know it was from the break I had though and that it will eventually regrow on it's own and that it's just hair. Maybe if it does all completely fall out I'll go and buy an "orange" wig.  ; )


I know this post is all over the place but this is just what is on my mind right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment