Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Thoughts.

   Yesterday was a long day! I had a cbc done to check my counts, weekly appointment with Dr. Vukov, chemo treatment with vincristine, a shot in my lower abdomenen of Neulasta (rapidly increases my white blood cells), and then had to go to Methodist for a transfusion of 2 bags of blood and platelets. I was initially supposed to have the blood and platelets on Monday and had gone in to Dr. V's as planned from Friday for the cbc and then was supposed to go to Methodist. Well, after my cbc we headed to the hospital and they told us orders had been changed and I would just be having the Type and Cross done that day and would have to go back the next day for the transfusions. So I had the Type and Cross done and then headed home.

All went very well with my weekly appointment, Dr. V seemed pleased with how all is going and is working on my next course of treatment. He did say I will be having another bone marrow biopsy sometime in the near future (will be my 3rd) to make sure I'm still in remission and the chemo is working. From my weekly appointments and blood work though all shows I'm still in remission which is great!

So I ended up having the transfusions yesterday and it takes 2 hours per bag of blood and about 15 minutes for a bag of platelets. All went well and I went home last night. Aly had tap and tumbling last night and Justin left to take her to it about half way thru my transfusions. She is getting so close to the recital and can't miss any of her classes right now so I really pushed for Justin to take her. He picked the kids up from daycare and met with his parents and his Dad watched Connor and then him, Carrie, and Aly went to her dance class. It was watch week and I wanted to go so badly but knew even if I wasn't sitting in the hospital it wouldn't be the best idea with my counts being so low. After Aly was done then Justin went back and picked me up from the hospital and his parents watched the kids. We've had some stuff go on between all of us in the last couple of years and things have really changed in the last 6 months and I'm so thankful for that. I love his parents and love so much that Aly and Connor have a great relationship with their Grandparents. They had a great time and both were so tired when we picked them up.

Today I haven't done much. I've tried to take it easy but it's so hard to just sit and do nothing all day. I have had more energy today than recently and have felt pretty good. I worked on some laundry and then tonight after Justin got home we had dinner and then played with the kids. I loved.every.minute. of it!

Tomorrow morning I have another cbc to see how my counts are and depending on what they are I might need to go have another Type and Cross done and then transfusions on Friday.

Before I forget about it, I want to mention this shot I was given yesterday. The Neulasta shot had to be approved by our insurance before I could be given it. Only one company manufacturers it and it costs an arm and a leg! My nurse told me yesterday that on average this shot runs in the upwards of thousands of dollars so I looked into it and she was right, on average this ONE shot costs about $9,500. I was like, are you freaking kidding me? I was floored! Then when she said they had to wait to get approval before giving me it I just wondered what people do when they don't have insurance? What would I have done yesterday if insurance wouldn't have approved it (which according to my nurse happens quite often) and this is something I NEED to get better? Good grief.

I just went and checked on Aly and Connor before I head to bed. Aly changed out of her pajamas and had on her Disney princess Belle dress, tiara, heels, and clip on earrings and was curled up in bed sound asleep. So what does this Mommy do? Quietly sneaks back out and grabs a camera and goes back in and takes her picture. She didn't budge. Must have had a long day! Love her so much!

Off to bed. Another long day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment