Sunday, October 30, 2011

Port issues...

     I haven't posted in a few days. I've had a pretty low key week which has been nice.

Until last night. I stayed up late and watched a movie in bed and then after it was over I got ready to go to sleep. I got nice and comfortable and then scratched my neck and noticed the "line" from my dual power port in my chest seemed like it was bunched up (I don't know the medical term for this so I just call it the line, it's what connects my port to my jugular vein). So much for starting to doze off, I went into full panic mode and woke Justin up and he said he could definitely tell a difference in it also. I could literally wrap my fingers around the line where it felt like it was bunched up. I wasn't having any pain with it but still very concerned, so I called the after hours line and talked to Dr. Shawn Seibert. It was late (2 A.M.) and I feel bad calling and waking him up (he was the on call doctor) but this was something I just couldn't chance in case I needed to head to the hospital. He said that as long as I'm not having any pain at the location or showing obvious symptoms that it's okay and to call Dr. Vukov's office on Monday. He said it does happen, ports can move or become dislodged. He said my doctor will take a look at it and then decide if I need to have surgery to have it re-attached. AHH!!

I've never had any issues with my port and it's definitely something I am still so glad I've had done. It's used to draw blood from, for when I have blood and platelet transfusions, and to receive chemo treatments. Some people are pretty surprised to hear I have a dual port instead of single but my oncologist said this one would be best for me due to all the chemo I would be receiving. SO much easier than constant iv's.

So I'll be calling first thing tomorrow morning to try and get this all taken care of...


I'm off to bed. Tomorrow is Halloween! I'm a room Mom and Aly has her school party and then parade of all the preschoolers in their costumes and I'm pretty excited!  : )  Then tomorrow night we're taking the kids to see family and for trick or treating.



Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment