Sunday, October 9, 2011

Procedures

I've finally compiled a list of procedures, etc. I've had done since being diagnosed in December. I don't have every single spinal tap and blood/platelet transfusion written down. But especially so in the beginning I would on average have 1-2 transfusions a month and I am currently at 12 spinal taps and have more coming up. And I don't have it listed but I have an appt. with my oncologist EVERY week, usually on Tuesday mornings.

I've been wanting to get this all documented so I'll have it to look back on and I've finally taken the time to go over all of it.



10/1/2010
Cbc - everything looks fine. Assured my symptoms (swollen lymph nodes, trouble breathing and signs of a cold) were not cancer. I had googled swollen lymph nodes and cancer was the first thing to pop up... (Later on my oncologist told us he thinks this came up around Halloween).


12/6
Appt. with Dr. D., my family medical doctor. I push for an x-ray. Still sick, not showing any signs of improvement.

12/7
Call from Dr. D himself, said radiologist called him from Methodist and said I needed to go in for a few days - possible pneumonia. Packed my bag and headed to Methodist. Had to stay the night, did bloodwork, wasn't told much.


12/8
Diagnosed with Acute Lymphocyctic Leukemia (ALL)
Thoracentesis - removed 1 1/2 liters of fluid from my right lung.
Echo cardiogram done
Met with my oncologist, Dr. Vukov, for the first time.
PET scan

12/9
Bone marrow biopsy
Central line placed (which ended up getting infected 3 times in the next month).


12/10
Started chemo

12/11
Haircut in the hospital


12/14
Chemo


12/17
Chemo - Rough day of it


12/
Major hair loss all of December
Numerous scans done

12/24
Was expected to be discharged that day - but as I was in the process of being discharged I had 5 seizures. Immediately moved to ICU. Obviously not discharged (very thankful it happened there and not at home in front of the kids!). Met with Neurologist, Dr. Dong, for the first time.


12/25
Moved back to Oncology floor so I could see the kids on Christmas Day and things were better with me. Seizures were caused from toxicity level of chemo drug (Asparaginase) to my brain.


12/27
Per doctors orders; all chemo was stopped. Liver enzymes had skyrocketed and they were worried about me possibly going into liver failure. Met with liver doctor.

1/4
2nd bone marrow biopsy


1/5
Met with physical therapist (they were worried about me losing strength and muscle from not being able to move around as much).
Also met with a nutritionist, as of then I was down 48 lbs. since 12/7 (I had no appetite at all and was constantly sick from the chemo).


1/7/11
REMISSION!!
Liver biopsy done (thru my jugular vein)

1/8 Discharged


Bloodwork 2 times a week after being discharged. But still no chemo; liver enzymes were still all out of whack.


2/22
Dual Lumen Powerport surgery (small port placed in chest for chemo).


3/1
Started chemo back up


Chemo went as follows:
4 days a week for 2 weeks. Then chemo 1 time a week for 2 weeks. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

4/12
Neupogin shot in stomach to increase white count.
Type and Cross at Methodist (always needed before I can get blood transfusions).


4/13
Blood and Platelets at Methodist


5/3
Spinal tap
Type and Cross


5/4
Blood (2 bags)


5/7
Mouth sores (first time having them)  All from chemo (Methotrexate).


6/3
Spinal tap
Type and Cross


6/6
Blood and Platelets

6/28
3rd Bone Marrow biopsy
PET scan
Given a week off from chemo for counts to rebound.


7/1
Echo cardiogram done at Methodist


7/12
Spinal tap


7/26
Mouth sores are back

7/30
Was told to expect hair loss, again. Started coming out in clumps today.

8/6
Now down to very little hair.


8/8
Just another follow up with my Neurologist.  


8/13
Was frustrated with the whole losing my hair thing - to be honest, I was tired of taking a lint roller to my pillow every morning to pick up all the hair I was losing. In some spots it was still a little longer so I had Justin just shave it for me. And then he shaved his. And then my brother in law Jon shaved his in support of me. : )

8/17
Spinal tap
Fighting with insurance over covering a much needed chemo drug/pill. They finally gave in after arguing back and forth and it was taken in front of an emergency advisory panel and was covered for the most part.
Chemo W, Th, and F that week. And Tuesday - Friday all the next week.


8/23
Spinal Tap


8/31
Type and Cross

9/1
Blood and Platelets


9/2
My Mom passed away. I kept rescheduling my appt. with Dr. Vukov because I knew it would be very soon for my Mom and he just gave me a week off because of everything going on.


9/13
Spinal Tap


9/15
4th Bone Marrow Biopsy - GREAT results!

9/20
Spinal Tap (12th)


10/11
CT scan scheduled before radiation begins.


10/17
Will begin 12 days of brain radiation. This is part of my treatment plan, nothing is cause for concern. Exact words from my doctor: If there are any cancer cells floating around that haven't formed yet this will kill them off". I'm terrified of it, it's something new that I've never done before and of course, it has risks, but it's something that is part of the treatment plan to keep me in remission. Oh, and add hair loss to this here also - I'm expected to completely lose it again (3rd time) and there is even a chance it could be permanent this time. But something that weighs very heavily on my mind is the chance of me having memory loss in the future. More about that in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment