Sunday, October 9, 2011

Questions regarding radiation

I am scheduled for an MRI this Tuesday before starting the brain radiation therapy. I'm being honest here, this whole thing scares the heck out of me...  My doctor, Dr. Carpenter, at Methodist had to tell me all the risks involved with it.

1.)  I have a chance of memory loss with having this brain radiation. Dr. Carpenter said if I was 85 years old he wouldn't have even bothered mentioning it, but since I'm not even 30 yet he needed to. I'm terrified if this does happen I'll lose all the precious memories I have of everything from my life.

2.) I have a 1 in 1,000 chance of a new form of cancer developing from the radiation.

3.) As soon as I met with Dr. C he asked if I had help with the kids. Um...yes. He said I need to expect that I am going to have major fatigue from this. This scares me because the kids need me - they depend on me during the day to be well, their Mommy. If this does drain me how am I supposed to take Aly to school, and so on? 

4.) Since this will focus only on my brain I will most likely develop cataracts within five years.

5.) Have you seen the mask I'll have to wear? And then basically be bolted down to the table so I can't move? Oh my. I've been told exactly what it will look like by my doctors so I'll know what to expect. But this scares me also. I seriously need a block on Google Images on my laptop. Okay, this last one is a little funny. ; ) Guess I'm just trying to find something a little humerous in this...



I plan on calling my oncologist's tomorrow morning and see if I can be fit in for even just a few minutes to talk things over with him before I start this next week. I'm scheduled to start this next Monday and then have my appointment with Dr. Vukov the following day. But I need to have my questions regarding all of this answered before I start it.

No comments:

Post a Comment